12.18.2011

{frantic christmas}



I feel like I've been away for so long. This last month has been rough, with torn muscles and now the never-ending cold from... well, you know. After over a week with this cold, I finally broke down and got a z-pack. Only after trying every medication that has ever worked for me with no luck. So, this year I'm asking Santa for the ability to breathe through my nose again.

On a happier note, since I'm starting to feel a little better, I decided to salvage what's left of this holiday season! We did put up the Christmas tree and outside lights this year, which is sadly a big step for us. We usually leave the Christmas decor to my parents since we spend the holidays at their house. Granted, half our ornaments are now broken because my daughter think they're toys, but that's okay. At least I caught the ones she hung on the light strands instead of the actual tree.

BUT, today was my favorite holiday prep-day. For the first time, I made Christmas cookies with my kids! We were making them for their teachers, so I got a little upset (unfairly) when they kept eating them. I finally promised them we'd make more when we get to my parents' house, and that they could eat as many of those as they wanted. We made skinny sugar cookies from Dashing Dish - great place for lower calorie treats! (I also recommend the monkey bread. Simple and yum!).

For teacher gifts, we also made chocolate covered coffee beans, and then dipped some candy canes and pretzels sticks in milk chocolate and white chocolate (no fights here since I let the kids eat the leftover chocolate & pretzels). Tomorrow I'll pick up some cute baskets to hold all of this with a MEpad, a CheckME and maybe a ListME, because I think they're fun :) Did I mention there are 3 teachers and one school director?

Now I just have to pack up everything I'll need for a week or so at my parents' house! Come Friday, the extended family descends upon South Texas and the insanity begins. AND, this is one of the special years where Hanukkah (Chanukah?) falls during Christmas and we get to celebrate it! This is because my amazing Aunt Cheryl & cousin Miriam will be leading the celebration. I can't wait for my kids to experience it and spin a dreidel!

So, from our family to yours, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and Happy New Year!!

image from here

No comments: