11.20.2011

{giving thanks & the best cranberry recipe ever}


This year has been such an incredible roller coaster ride, that I don't even know where to start. Rather than reliving it all, I'll just start with now. I'm so excited that I'm spending the entire week with the kids and most of that week at my parents' house. The bonus there is that I don't have to compete with our Baskin Robbins for my husband's attention! It's also great because while my mom visits a lot (thank goodness!), I don't get to see my dad as much. AND we have extended family coming as well. I just love the holidays and all the craziness it brings.

My only goal for this next week is to watch my food intake! Yes, I believe that you should enjoy Thanksgiving dinner and that there is no room for calorie counting at that table. However, I still need to have limits! Especially since our Thanksgiving involves at least two family dinners and two football games. With all the changes in the last year, my eating/exercise has not been as well maintained as I would like. So, we'll take it one week at a time. This week my goals are simple. One piece of pumpkin pie, with whipped cream (because I'm human). Shakeology for breakfast everyday. Watch the carbs. Workout everyday. Probably Turbo Fire. And ChaLean Extreme. And maybe I'll crash a Zumba class with some friends back home here.

Now for the best cranberry salad recipe ever. I make this for every pot luck/Thanksgiving dinner we are invited to. It's from my Great Grandmother, but it's not a family secret! I pass out the recipe to anyone who will take it. Nothing would make me more happy than to have the entire country eating this next Thursday!! Seriously, just try it.

1 lb. cranberries - ground up (we use a mini-Cuisinart)
2 C. sugar
1 small can crushed pineapple
Mix the above together and set for one hour
Then add:
1 C. chopped celery
1 C. chopped apple
1 C. chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts, whatever)
1 box red jello dissolved in 1 C. hot water (we use cranberry jello if we can find it. Cherry works too)
Chill till set

The great thing about this is you can make it the day before Thanksgiving and keep it in the fridge. One less thing to worry about on Thursday! At Thanksgiving dinner I will pour this on my turkey and eat them together. And I've been known to eat a small bowl of it by itself for a snack. We've also made it with Splenda to cut the calories. It has a slightly different consistency, but still tastes yummy!!

image from here

No comments: