9.20.2007

Fire, Fire, Fire...


So, I spent yesterday morning with an Ayurvedic practitioner...It was my first time to see her and I'm really glad I went. I'd read a lot about Ayurveda, an ancient system of health care (from India) in all of my magazines and most recently a cookbook I bought. In Ayurveda, the five elements of space, air, earth, fire and water make up everything in the universe including the human body. These elements come together to create three different constitutional types, or doshas, known as Vata (airy), Pitta (fiery), and Kapha (earthy). Knowing your type can help you understand what foods, exercises, and lifestyle elements can support and nurture your health and which ones can cause imbalance. I'd taken quizes and everything about my life pointed to the fact that my dosha (or constituion) was a Pitta. What the quizes didn't tell me but what she could is that yes, my primary dosha is a Pitta but I also have tendancies towards a Vatta imbalance (this has created energy blocks and digestive issues).

So once she determined that, she gave me a some recommendations to keep my doshas in balance.

Foods to avoid: Red meat, spicy food, citric fruits, tomatoes, beets, fried food, peanuts, soy, arugula, green peppers, salt, salmon, raw onions & garlic, hard cheeses, sugars and whole wheat.

Foods to favor: Avacadoes, apples, pears, grapes, brown rice & beans, bananas, chicken, turkey, white fish, eggs, cheese, almonds, almond & cashew butter, oatmeal, dairy, olive oil, grape seed oil, coconut oil and sunflowers.

Self Oil Massage with Seaseme Oil several times a week.

Supplements in am & pm.

Recommended exercise times: Yoga (6-10am &/or pm); cardio mid-day (10-2pm).

Overall, this seems like a great overall healthy lifestyle plan for me. I'll roll with it and let you all know what I think soon.

No comments: